1) lithotripsy is a system used to treat stones.
2) it works by breaking the stones inside the kidney/ureter and stones fragments pass out naturally.
3) electromagnetic shock waves(latest system), piezo, electro hydraulic(old system)
4) main component is high voltage generator which makes high voltage pulses, HV is converted to shock waves by electromagnetic conversion.
5) normally 3000 to 4000 shocks are necessary for a session.
6) Other techniques include URS, PCNL (laser, lithoclast) and open surgery
7) Main safety consideration during Lithotripsy is focussing of shock waves into the stone.
Technician should be monitoring the stone through fluoroscopy OR ultrasound.
Kidney haemorrages and trauma may occur if he is not careful.
8) I’m not sure. It’s way too big answer.
9) large stones are usually not recommended lithotripsy.
Staghorn stones usually forms inside ureters and can be treated successfully using Lithotripsy.
10) normally 45 min to 1 hr
Storz Medical Shock wave therapy
Lithotripsy means stone crushing. It is also shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). it is used to crush kidney stones into small particles to get them out of the body. Boosted electrical pulse is used ( anode). Surgeons uses c-arm or ultrasound to point out kidney stone. It may damage kidney when fragmented pieces obstructs at urinal bladder and parts of urinary system.
Function: first u have to set the rate no. Of shocks to be delivered and duration (shocks delivered within the time u set). It also counts the delivered shocks.
1⃣ Lithotripsy is a procedure that uses shock waves to break up stones in the kidney, bladder, or ureter (tube that carries urine from your kidneys to your bladder). After the procedure, the tiny pieces of stones pass out of your body in your urine.
2⃣ Lithotripsy takes about 45 minutes to an hour to perform. You’ll likely be given some form of anesthesia (local, regional, or general) so you don’t experience any pain. After the procedure, stone debris is removed from your kidneys or ureter, the tube leading from your kidney to your bladder, through urination.
Name- Bundela Avanish
Designation-Bio medical engg
Answers of today’s session
1⃣ It is a medical procedure for destruction of kidney stones into fragments.
2⃣ Lithotripsy uses sound waves for breaking the stones.
These high sound waves are called as
3⃣ Shockwaves are mainly used for Lithotripsy.
1. Shockwave generator which produces high shockwaves .
2. Focusing system- it focuses the produced shockwaves to the targeted area that is calculi.
3. Coupling mechanism it minimizes the dissipation of energy transversing through the soft tissue, density of water inside the body.
4. Localisation system – it restricts the shockwaves to fall on the stones only.
5⃣ The shockwaves are needed in the frequency of 120 shocks per minute.
6⃣ 1. Ureteroscopy.
2. Common surgery.
7⃣ 1. The procedure injures the kidney slightly , so blood may come through urine.
2. Development of urine infection and inflammation too.
1. It is difficult to maintain the coupling, so always take care of it before the procedure.
2. Focal zone of the lithotripter device may not work properly.
9⃣ Yes . Large and staghorn stones can be treated mainly through the ESWL Extracorporeal ShockWave Lithotripsy.
🔟 It takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour
1⃣1⃣ Lithotripsy is a Greek word meaning Lithos mean rock or stones and tripsy means breaking.
Lithotripsy is of mainly two types.
1. ESWL Extracorporeal ShockWave Lithotripsy.
2. Laser Lithotripsy.
ESWL Extracorporeal ShockWave Lithotripsy is most commonly used.
ShockWave can be produced in many ways.
Mainly 1. Piezoelectric.
Yash Gajanan Tiknayat
Final year Biomedical
Have a good day.