The Institute of Biomedical Engineering of Bogaziçi University was established in 1982 as an interdisciplinary graduate school in the field of Biomedical Engineering. It was the first established Institute of Biomedical Engineering in Turkey as a graduate program. Then Biomedical Engineering graduate programs was established in METU (Middle East Technical University) under the graduate school of natural and applies science and in ITU (Istanbul Technical University) under the Graduate School of Science, Engineering and Technology.
2000, the first undergraduate Biomedical Engineering program was established in
Baskent University.in 2004 Yeditepe University,in 2007 Erciyes University,in
2008 Near East University,in 2009 Namik Kemal University.After 2010s many
undergraduate biomedical engineering programs were established in Turkey.
The Institute of Biomedical Engineering is unique in Turkey and offers interdisciplinary instructional programs and research, leading to MS and Ph.D. degrees in various areas of concentration: Biomaterials, Biomechanics, Biomedical Instrumentation, Biophotonics, Clinical Engineering, Medical Imaging, and Neuroengineering.
The field of Biomedical Engineering has emerged as an important profession in developed as well as developing countries and is concerned with the application of engineering technology and science methodology to the analysis of biological, physiological and health care problems.
During the past several decades the medical profession has grown to depend increasingly on machines and sophisticated electronic instrumentation supported by elaborate clinical data processing procedures for the delivery of quality health care. As a response to these requirements the Biomedical engineers are responsible for producing high technology medical equipment and biological instrumentation, for devising new and efficient methods for physiological measurements, medical data processing and analysis, for developing prosthetic materials and artificial organs, and for introducing the suitable technological developments to the health care system.
Biomedical Engineering undergraduate programs in Turkey;
- -TOBB University of Economics and Technology
- -Bahcesehir University
- -Baskent University
- -Yeditepe University
- -Istanbul Medipol University
- -Ankara University
- -Isik University
- -Biruni University
- -Izmir University of Economics
- -Izmir Katip Celebi University
- -Fatih Sultan Mehmet Vakif University
- -Kocaeli University
- -Beykent University
- -Yeni Yuzyil University
- -Pamukkale University
- -Cukurova University
- -Erciyes University
- -Istanbul Arel University
- -Afyon Kocatepe University
- -Namik Kemal University
- -Near East University
- -Bulent Ecevit University
- -Duzce University
- -Inonu University
- -Karabuk University
- -Kastamonu University
Admission Process for Turkish students who was completed high school in Turkey; Students admitted to the program based on the results of the Central Placement Examination administered by OSYM.
- Must be a foreign national
- Must be a senior student or graduate of a high school
- Must not be a citizen of Turkey or the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (or have a dual citizenship right of either country or for the ones who had dual citizenship but abolished either one not to have completed all high school education in Turkey or TRNC)
- Must not have been dismissed from a higher education institute in Turkey despite meeting all other above-mentioned requirements
For Turkish citizens:
- Citizens of TRNC (except the students who have completed their entire high school in TRNC and have GCE A/L result)
- Students with dual nationality one of which is either Turkish of TRNC (except the students who have completed their entire high school in TRNC and have GCE A/L result)
- Students with dual nationality who abandoned their Turkish or TRNC citizenship (except the students who have completed their entire high school in TRNC and have GCE A/L result) and who complete their entire high school education either in Turkey or TRNC
- Students with dual nationality who abandoned their Turkish or TRNC citizenship and who graduate from the Mission schools in Turkey
- Students expelled from an institution of higher education in Turkey due to disciplinary action
Author: Tarik Enis TOKGOZ
School: Fatih Sultan Mehmet Vakif University
Location: Istanbul Turkey